Who We Are
We are “Disciples of Christ” who joined the “United Church of Christ in the Philippines (UCCP)”.
The UCCP Logo
The first group of Disciples of Christ who joined the UCCP on May 25, 1948 was the Ilocano Convention. Although the Tagalog Convention joined the UCCP in 1968, it took three decades for Sabang Church of Christ Disciples to fully join in.
The “Pentecostal” experience of the young people in 1968 led to the “Revival” of the whole church. To better understand and learn more about this new Pentecostal experience, for about three decades, the Church hired Pentecostal Pastors mostly graduates of Bethel Bible School. The church also sponsored several of its young people to study at Bethel Bible School. Two of them are still serving as recognized ministers of UCCP.
We, as individual members of the Body of Christ, are free to believe and act in accordance with our perception of God’s will for our lives but are also called to live in a loving relationship with the other members of the congregation.
We, as a congregational church, have the free will to act in accordance with the collective decision of our members, guided by the workings of the Holy Spirit in the light of the scriptures but is also called to live in a covenantal relationship with other congregations for the sharing of insights and for cooperative action under the authority of Christ.
We recognize with respect those who were called by God to receive special training in pastoral, priestly, educational and administrative functions, but these persons are regarded as servants—rather than as persons in authority. Their task is to guide, to instruct, to enable the ministry of all Christians rather than to do the work of ministry for us.
We, as a member of the Disciples of Christ churches, have a covenantal agreement with the UCCP, in that:
1. the name of the Disciples Churches can never be altered or changed
2. our beliefs, practices, and traditions must be respected and preserved. Some of our beliefs and practices are:
* We exalt and preach only the Creator: God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit and not the creation: organizations, denominations, leaders.
* Baptism is by immersion as exemplified by Jesus Christ when He was baptized by John the Baptist.
* We celebrate the Lord’s Supper (Communion) weekly as mandated by Jesus in 1 Cor. 11: 23-26. It is open to all followers of Jesus Christ.
* We practice the congregational form of church governance. The local congregation handles its own affairs, like property and finance management, makes its own Constitution and By-Laws, Rules and Regulations, Policies, Vision and Mission. The Pastors, Church Leaders and Lay Workers will implement whatever was agreed upon by 2/3 votes of the members of the congregation.
The SCCD Logo represents the History of the Church – past, present and future:
- Sabang Church of Christ Disciples, the name of the Church.
- The Chalice symbolizes the central place of communion in worship for the Disciples of Christ. The X-shaped cross is a reminder of the ministry of each person and the importance of evangelism. The Sunday Worship Service is culminated by the Communion because at the Table of the Lord we celebrate with thanksgiving the saving acts and presence of Christ”.
- The Dove represents the Holy Spirit, the Pentecostal Revival that the young people experienced in the late ’60s through the ’90s leading to the revival of the whole church.
- UCCP, the current Church denominational affiliation.
- 1926, the year the Church was founded.
A… New Digital Rendition